Back firing | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GARAGE » CJ Talk
Mkbakker Member
Mkbakker May 6 '16, 22:07
Anyone have any idea how to solve my back firing problem. It is extremely loud when I down gear or when I hit the gas hard and led go of the gas. It's a CJ7 with a 258, I just put a brand new Weber carb in it. I set the timing to 8 degrees, my vacuum is at 20 and I have played with the carb adjustment, it's idling beautiful at 700 rpm. Any suggestions would be great, I'm scratching my head now.
Share:
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 7 '16, 07:03
Do you know what the condition of your exhaust manifold is in? Maybe it has a leak? It would be a pain in the butt to change those rusty bolts, but maybe you need a new gasket? My understanding with this is if the exhaust manifold gasket has a leak, when rich (unspent) fuel mixture collects exhaust system and is leaned out by the air leak, this raw mixture can become combustible and backfire. 

I also looked online a bit and it seems some people have this issue because of the float in their carb is set too low... just another thought?
link -> Backfiring during deceleration

kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 7 '16, 07:13
Leave it to a CJ owner to leave the first how to question.. hahah :) 
Mkbakker Member
Mkbakker May 8 '16, 15:40
That's funny. It started to happen after I installed a brand new Weber carb. According my plugs for im running very lean. My choke doesn't seem to want to stay open, that's my first plan of attack. I tried to set my timing but it's hard to see the mark with my timing light.
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 9 '16, 12:40
Yeah the choke could definitely cause that issue. Let me know what you find out with some more investigating.
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 11 '16, 06:07
Did you solve the problem?
Mkbakker Member
Mkbakker May 21 '16, 17:47
I think I did, took the vacuum hose off the PCV valve and it stopped back firing so I put a filter on the second hose on the PCV valve and so far so good
Attachments:
  image.jpeg (163Kb)
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 30 '16, 07:22
Great to hear Mkbakker, that's an easy fix! Hope it's still working for you
JEEPINEERS Jeep 4x4 Club for Simcoe County Barrie Orillia Collingwood and Midland. Jeep Every Damn Day. JEEPINEERS Jeep 4x4 Club for Simcoe County Barrie Orillia Collingwood and Midland. Jeep Every Damn Day.