Swift Rapids Lock | Forum

KippaxCrew Member
KippaxCrew May 28 '16, 15:45
Took my little guy out to do some Geocaching and sight seeing at the Swift Rapids Lock the long weekend.

There were few bugs on the long trail out and he had a blast with the top down. Had to remove my New CB antenna because the mount was starting to let go. When we arrived at the end of the road we parked and had a picknick then walk the rest of the way to the lock and hydro dam. The locks where neat and he was able to watch the boats go up and down and then he was able to find the geocach rather easy. before the long treck home to Barrie

The Forum post is edited by KippaxCrew May 28 '16, 15:53
Attachments:
  20160522_135854.jpg (1592Kb)
  20160522_135923.jpg (1522Kb)
  20160522_140844.jpg (1399Kb)
  20160522_140849.jpg (1317Kb)
  20160522_143605.jpg (1600Kb)
Share:
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk May 30 '16, 07:24
Looks like a great weekend Kippax! Did you find the cache??

How tall is your CB antenna?

KippaxCrew Member
KippaxCrew Jun 1 '16, 23:07
Yaa the little guy found his second and third that day. Looks like I have a new geocaching buddy to go treasure hunting with.

My antenna is a 62inch Wilson with the tuneable tip on a heavy mount, I found that the trail was just a little too much side to side and was sending the whip back and forth soo much that it actually was pulling the top of the mount right off the inner core causing it to work loose, I still haven't had a chance to fix it. Me thinks there is a project for tomorrow since I have the day off.

The Forum post is edited by KippaxCrew Jun 1 '16, 23:09
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk Jun 2 '16, 07:53
That's awesome, I've never done geocaching before, I'd love to try it. Are there maps or something that you download to start the search?

Those big antennas sometimes don't work the best on those trails.. Maybe you could do an antenna disconnect to take it off easier if you ever need to on the trail.

seadog68 Sergeant
seadog68 Jun 2 '16, 09:05
KippaxCrew

How was the litter on road?
I have been thinking of organizing a Swift cleanup.
We used to do it every year but have missed the few
kurplunk Prez
kurplunk Jun 2 '16, 22:25
I think a cleanup is a great idea seadog, I would be happy to try and organize this with you and whoever else from the club can come.
KippaxCrew Member
KippaxCrew Jun 3 '16, 01:10
M
Quote from seadog68 KippaxCrew

How was the litter on road?
I have been thinking of organizing a Swift cleanup.
We used to do it every year but have missed the few
Most of the trail was just as nature had intended it to be but I have to be honest there were a few places that were obviously being used as a dumping site as well as some of the empty camp sites were littered pretty good.

I could defiantly see taking 2, 3 or more trailers worth of garbage out easy

KippaxCrew Member
KippaxCrew Jun 3 '16, 01:19

Quote from kurplunk That's awesome, I've never done geocaching before, I'd love to try it. Are there maps or something that you download to start the search?

Those big antennas sometimes don't work the best on those trails.. Maybe you could do an antenna disconnect to take it off easier if you ever need to on the trail.

All you really need is a decent GPS that will take coordinates IE "Longitude and Latitude".

Go to Geocaching.com and sign up for the free membership no CC needed and look into any area that your going and you can print out all the particulars on any geocaches that are in the area. It can be loads of fun, really educational and all for the cost of just a decent GPS and a desire to get out of the house on a world wide treasure hunt. I love it because its basically free, the kids and I can do it any time any where in the world that man has set foot there are probably a cach or two hidden.

The Forum post is edited by KippaxCrew Jun 3 '16, 01:22
seadog68 Sergeant
seadog68 Jun 3 '16, 07:17
In the past we have had the municipality drop a dumpster off at the trail head. We fill and the take it. Usually a full load. I will call my guy and see what up
JEEPINEERS Jeep 4x4 Club for Simcoe County Barrie Orillia Collingwood and Midland. Jeep Every Damn Day. JEEPINEERS Jeep 4x4 Club for Simcoe County Barrie Orillia Collingwood and Midland. Jeep Every Damn Day.